Auto Insurance

Driving is an essential part of life, yet fraught with potential issues—especially when adjusting to the roads and drivers in a new country! Car insurance will protect you.

There are three types of auto insurance In Israel:

Compulsory Motor Insurance (Bituach Chova)

Covers all personal injury which may occur in a motor accident, including injury to pedestrians and hit & run accidents.

Comprehensive Motor Insurance (Bituach Makif)

Covers your car for theft, accidents, fire and damage to a third party’s car or property. Includes emergency repairs and towing.

Third Party Insurance (Tzad Gimmel)

Recommended for older car models, as it only covers damage to other cars, and not theft or damage of one’s own car.
Prices for these three forms of insurance vary greatly from car to car and company to company.

There are approximately 20 main insurance companies in Israel, and 5-7 direct insurance companies. But which has the best auto coverage for your money?

We aim to get you custom-made coverage with the top insurance companies. We don’t necessarily offer the cheapest rates but we will go the extra mile when you have a claim!

This can involve going to Small Claims court with you, tracking down ‘unwilling’ Third Party offenders, and personally meeting with company managers to pay problematic claims. We’ll be here to help you with it all.

  1. The non-resident must hold a valid foreign driver’s license for the type of car they are driving in Israel.
  2. Must be 17 years or older
  3. They are not unfit to get an Israeli license.
  4. Have not been in Israel from date of their last entry for more than a year.
  5. Definition of “last entry”: Where they were in חו”ל for at least 3 consecutive months.

Example: A tourist or student comes to visit Israel once or twice a year. As long as they went back home for at least 3 consecutive months and don’t stay in Israel for more than a year, then they can use their license every time.
Problem: A yeshiva student who is here for Shana Bet. He arrives for his first year from חו”ל. He can drive for the full year on his foreign license. He then goes home for Bein Hazmanim and returns for Elul. If he doesn’t return to חו”ל for at least 3 months, his last entry is calculated from when he arrived for Shana Aleph and he no longer has a valid license in Israel!! In a case like this, he must immediately convert his license to an Israeli license.
How to obtain an Israeli license? Must present their passport, study visa, eye exam, medical exam and foreign license valid for at least 5 years to משרד הרשוי.
N.B.: This is our understanding and interpretation of the rather complicated law. -See תקנה 367 of the Road Vehicle Law.
Please contact our office for any queries.